Once you have completed the first three steps: got the I-20 letter, paid the SEVIS fee, completed the DS-160 form and paid the visa fee you can now apply to for a visa interview through VFS. You will use the barcode and fee receipt number to schedule an appointment. You need to determine the visa consulate where you are supposed to apply to for a visa interview.
While going for a visa interview you will need following documents to carry with you:
• Your confirmation page of DS-160 form (printed on a laser printer).
• Appointment letter from the department you have been offered assistantship
• Visa fee receipt
• SEVIS fee receipt
• In addition, if you are applying for a petition-based visa (H, L, F, J, M, R visas) should also bring petition-related documents.
• One recent (within the past six months) passport size photograph 50mm X 50mm (2" x 2") with a white or off-white background.
• Proof of financial availability: financial affidavit, bank letter and passbooks, fixed deposit documents etc.
• Admission related documents
In addition of the above listed documents, you must also carry following documents:
i. Mark sheets of bachelors and Masters (any degree after bachelor’s)
ii. Academic transcripts of bachelors and Masters (any degree after bachelor’s)
iii. GRE and TOEFL score cards
iv. Diploma of Bachelors and Masters degree (any degree after bachelor’s)
v. Masters (All post-bachelor degree)
You should also be prepared to answer some important questions that are likely to be asked in an interview. Those will be discussed in the next post.